Tuesday, February 21, 2012

We are first-time vacation home renters. We are ignorant of the etiquette for this arrangement. Do you leave a gratuity for the owner at the home, mail them one, or is it unnecessary altogether? Should you tip the cleaners who will come after you leave?|||I don't tip the owners. They're usually making a nice chunk of money on my weekly rental.

I do tip the cleaning staff. I leave $5-$10 in an envelope (which I have to bring with me) and write "HOUSEKEEPING" on it.

Of course, most rental places expect you to leave the place really clean, and we do, but still, maids make lousy money, it's hard work, and I assume they appreciate it.

For the owners, I write in their guest book (most provide one) how much I enjoyed my stay and how pleased I was at how well-stocked the place was.

If and only if the place is the primary residence of the owner, rather than a rental-only place, sometimes I'll wait several months and write a little thank-you note telling them I was among their summer renters and how very much at-home I felt. Twice now the next year's slightly increased rental rate on the same house mysteriously dropped to the previous year's level when they sent the contract--presumably at the owner's request. Nice works!|||Tips aren't necessary, since you're paying the owner to stay at their place anyway. And I agree with the other answer that a tip for cleaning staff is nice, but unless you see them face to face, it might not get right to them... lots of times the owners themselves clean the home after you've gone, so unless you know for sure that there are outside cleaners, I wouldn't leave a tip for them either...

Just in case you're looking for a place to stay still, and haven't found one yet, try Owner Direct Vacation Rentals http://www.ownerdirect.com/

They're fast and efficient, and have the best customer service I've found. They'll be able to help you with any questions you have about renting.

Have a nice time on your trip!

火车采集器

No comments:

Post a Comment