Friday, February 24, 2012

When advertising my vacation rental on Craigslist, I got a response for immediate dates and “she” wanted to send me a “US certified check” and asked for my name, address (no PO box) and phone number. “She” gave me a fictitious return address from the UK and I am in the US. Well, I declined the offer withholding any personal information. So, how does this scam work? There is no tangible item up for sale.|||Usually they want to send you a check for more then you are renting for. They then want you to cash the check and send money to other people. Makes no sense, but that is it.

The checks are forged, but it takes about 2 weeks for them to clear internationally.

In the end you loose the money you mailed off and whatever your bank charges you for cashing a bad check.

This has been going on for years. They are willing to email back and forth for weeks with ficticious stories. Expect to hear from a lot of them.|||I think I have heard of people doing this, and sending you a certified check for more than the rent was...catch is, it's a fake check, they tell you to deposit it, and wire them or western union them back the overage.

You end up with a bounced check a mad bank and no renters. Also, by endorsing the check, I am not sure if that would be a way they could get into your bank account.

I think the scenario though, is more likely the first one. Fake check.|||Scam scam scam and not even a new scam.

火车采集器

No comments:

Post a Comment