Saturday, March 3, 2012

I'm about to sign an agreement for a vacation rental but I'm a bit hesitant because of the conditions ($700/wk):

1) $300 Security Deposit + 50% of Rent ($350) = $650
which is due before I get there and the other 50% due at arrival

2) Cancellation Policy: The $650 is non-refundable if canceled within 30 days of arrival date (that's practically the entire amount to stay there!)

3) Security Deposit mailed 10 days after departure.

I haven't really rented vacation homes and don't know if this is a typical agreement. I guess the part that worries me is that I'm practically sending the entire amount before even arriving and in the case I have to cancel, I lose everything. And also the fact that I don't get my security deposit during my departure.

If you've rented vacation homes in the past, please let me know if this is a standard practice.

Thanks!|||Hi, I hope I can help. I have rented many vacation homes all over the united stated and I also own 2 vacation condos. I do normally book my vacation homes 4 to 6 months in advance and do require a security deposit equal to 1 week (near Disney 2/2 it's $925 per week) and the 1st week of their stay, which is non refundable if canceled, then at arrival the customer pay for the balance their stay. If they leave early they don't get that money back unless I can re-rent, but this is unusual. I do not get a lot of people that book last minute, if someone cancels I'm out that money. So I think that want to discourage people from booking then later changing their minds. It sounds standard, but I do a walk thru at check in with the clients while helping them with the luggage and going over available services and such. I offer a check out walk thru and credit their card same day unless they cant wait.
So don't worry it sounds right. Here's food for thought from my renting of someone Else's vacation homes, always use a credit card, be sure the contract covers amenities (pool, lake/river access,laundry area, furnishings, marina slots if needed to be sure there is everything you need included in the cost. And do your own walk thru at arrival with a video camera is better, to project yourself, and write down any potential damages that were there before you arrived. And check out their web site before you book if they have one, what they say in the contract shouldn't be different in the website. (bait and switch) Just food for thought!
Hope this helps|||typo: now I feel more comfortable proceeding.

Report Abuse

|||They do this so that you won't cancel after they have pulled it off the market. If you cancel on them and they have had it off the market and lost other potential renters, you'll have to pay for that loss.

They make the deposit substantial so that you will not walk away from the deal.

火车采集器

No comments:

Post a Comment